It’s the fourth generation of mobile network technology. And, as you’d expect, it’s faster than the previous generation (3G+). Our 4G network has been built for the internet, so surfing, downloading, video streaming and gaming will be faster than it was on 3G and 3G+. Your calls, TXT and PXT will stay on the 2G, 3G and 3G+ networks, so they won’t slow down your internet speeds.
I’ve seen stuff about 'LTE'. What’s that?
Basically, LTE and 4G are different names for the same thing. On some phones you’ll see an ‘LTE’ symbol and on others a ‘4G’. Find out more about 4G/LTE
How do I get 4G?
There are a few things you need to access Vodafone 4G:
- A 4G device – your device will need to be compatible with our 4G network and have 4G/LTE switched on. If you’re using an incompatible device, visit our 4G devices page to see what’s currently available
- 4G coverage – you need to be in a 4G coverage area
- A Vodafone plan or prepaid recharge – all our new plans and recharges can access 4G. Although, it’s a good idea to pick a recharge or plan that comes with 500MB of data or more
How much does it cost?
4G internet is the same as 3G+, 3G and 2G - it’s all charged in the same way. That said, because 4G is so fast, you’ll use your data faster too. We’ll send you alerts as you approach your limit and you can track your usage at My Vodafone too.
Keep an eye on your usage
Because 4G is so fast, it’s easy to use a lot of internet very quickly. Check out our tips on how to watch your usage
to make sure you avoid excess charges. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Work out how much data you'll need – check out our support page if you need help
- Get more data – if you’re on a plan, you can get a Data Add-on. If you’re on prepaid, you can always pick up a different recharge or a Mobile Internet Add-on
- Vodafone Alerts – We’ll give you a heads up when you’re at 50%, 85% and 100% of your plan’s data inclusions
- Watch your usage – use My Vodafone or the My Vodafone app to keep track of your data usage
A quick note on speed tests. They're a great way to see how fast our new 4G speeds are, but they need to use data to work. Find out all the details
before running your first test.
For more info on keeping an eye on your internet, check out our data management guide
My 4G has been activated. How do I know when I’m using 4G/LTE?
Either '4G' or 'LTE' will appear at the top of your screen (next to the signal bars, where you'd usually see other network symbols
). You’ll notice that this will switch back to 3G or 2G sometimes. That's because your device will automatically pick up the strongest signal available. Also, 4G/LTE is only for data. So when you’re on a call, your device needs to switch back to 3G. When you hang up, your device will switch back to 4G/LTE when it can.
- Older SIM cards (pre Micro or Nano SIMs) will not work on Vodafone 4G. If you need a replacement SIM, check out our support page for details
- Some early 4G devices may require a software update to enable 4G. Check out ‘Updating your device’s software’ for help
- If you don’t want to use 4G, you can switch it off through your device’s settings. Our customer care team can also disable 4G access on your account if required