Setting it up
If you joined one of our new monthly billed plans from 23 April 2014 onwards, chances are roaming will already be active. If you joined before this date, are on prepaid or you're just unsure if roaming is active, here’s how to set it up or check:
- Log in to My Vodafone
- Click the ‘Activate International Roaming’ button on the right hand side of the page. If you're activating it from your phone, you'll find the button by scrolling down the page
- If you’ve got more than one service on your account, you’ll need to enter your 4 digit account enquiry PIN and select ‘Next’.
- Slide the ‘International Roaming’ button to ‘ON’
- If applicable, select your roaming rates. If you don't see an option to select rates, we'll automatically put you on our Pay-As-You-Go Roaming rates:
- $5 Roaming – if you’re on an eligible plan, you’ll see a $5 Roaming option. This lets you use your plan in 47 countries including the US, UK, NZ, Brazil and popular destinations in Europe and Asia for just $5 extra per day. When you select this option and go to a country which isn't listed, you’ll fall back to our Pay-As-You-Go Roaming rates
- Pay-As-You-Go Roaming – these are our casual roaming rates which are worth considering if you’ll only be using your phone occasionally
- Tick the terms and conditions box if you agree and then click ‘Save Settings’
Check what it costs
Thinking of using data overseas?
Unless you're using $5 Roaming, data is charged at Pay-As-You-Go rates and isn’t included in monthly billed plans.
|Option||Description||Setting it up|
I want to use data
Use your plan’s data and included value for just $5 extra in 47 countries. (Excludes free Vodafone to Vodafone minutes on non-Red Plans)
If you connected to a new plan from 23 April 2014, chances are you'll automatically have this active. If you joined before this date and are on an eligible plan you’ll need to activate this in My Vodafone by following the steps above.
Our older plans won’t have this option available so you’ll see a message in My Vodafone asking you to call us on +61 414 141 414 to switch to one of our new plans to get this offer.
No upfront cost. You'll be on Pay-As-You-Go so be aware that charges can add up quickly.
See our casual data rates
You may need to switch on roaming data through your phone.
Switch roaming data off when not in use to avoid background data charges.
I don't want to use data
|Switch Data off||
Many modern phones transmit data in the background. If you don't want to use data overseas, double check it's disabled before you leave.
Switch roaming data off through your phone
|Use Wi-Fi only||
Even with mobile data switched off, you'll still be able to use Wi-Fi where available.
Find out how to:
Want to use Voicemail?
If you've never used Voicemail before, make sure you've set it all up before you head off.
Make sure you know your Voicemail security code, you may need it overseas. If you can't remember it, change it before you leave.
Find out more about using Voicemail while international roaming.
Will it work when you get there?
There are two things to check:
You're ready to go!
While you’re away use 1512, My Vodafone or the My Vodafone app to keep an eye on your usage and balances, but be aware there can be a delay with updating roaming usage details.
If you're new to roaming, find out what else you can expect when you get there.